Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Matrix .......structure

Well the all powerful Google Analytics says we have had 12 people read this blog in the last couple of weeks, the fact that the average time on the site is close to zero must be a data glitch right ;)

Anyway in conversation with one of my company's executive we got to discussing matrix structures. Now I have a history with matrix structures....I don't like them. I know they can be extremely powerful and efficient but i have found they are very hard to manage and often take up so much energy to manage people the right way to get anything done that I don't know if its worth it. But there is more to it, I believe that it removes responsibility to things like a budget and leaves some players with skin in the game and others with none.

That said I can see how "commodity" and skills you require infrequently can be matrixed but I don't understand how you matrix entire departments.

So to our 12 readers, what are your experiences?

Happy spring day

1 comment:

  1. The danger of matrix structures is that relationships and personalities play a huge role in them, and can effectively derail the business if the wrong people are put in the mix. My experience is that you have to think through very carefully who leads what in those structures, and then carefully goal the team as a whole and then more specific goals for the individuals within the team.

    But overall, I agree, far too much energy required!

    ReplyDelete